Friday, September 23, 2011

Curbside Cupcake DC

Thanks to a stop outside of DC, I finally had a chance to try out Curbside Cupcake.  Normally they go around parts of the city during the week, meaning I wouldn't have time to find them during work, so I was happy to be able to check them out.  




I picked up two cupcakes because they were doing a special that day (2 for $5, vs. $3 each), plus a cookies n' cream shake because it was their first day of offering milkshakes on the truck. 

I understand that boxes cost more money but I was a little surprised when my two cupcakes came in one paper lunch bag.  I had to be pretty careful taking these back to work, especially since there wasn't a divider separating the two cupcakes. 




I got a Red Velvet (left) and what I believe was a Snickerdoodle cupcake - I don't see it listed on their online menu, but I think it might have been a special flavor? 

Taste-wise these cupcakes were ok, but as you can see in the photo, pretty dry around the edges.  I found the core of the cupcakes to be the tastiest section of both cupcakes.  Also, not to be nitpicky, but the frosting on the Red Velvet cupcake was completely off-center and about to fall over at any second.  And that's how it was when I received it, so it's not an issue of heat or anything.  To be honest both cupcakes weren't really that appealing when I first looked at them, and I was a little surprised, given the rave reviews I've heard from people on Twitter mostly.  



The cookies n' cream shake was tasty - but then again, give me just about anything with Oreos and I'll like it, haha.  I'm mostly happy that I was able to try out this cupcake truck so that I can say that I tried it once, but I'm not really sure I'd be in a hurry to track them down again. 

6 comments:

  1. You're not being nitpicky in my opinion. That frosting looks horrible. =\ Like you said, at least you can say you've tried it.

    Happy Friday! =D

    ReplyDelete
  2. they look bad, at least you gave them a try.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Too bad - The GF ones are usually so good. The red velvet cupcake does really look pathetic though :(.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Even though I'm a cupcake aficionado, I'd rather have no cupcake than a Curbside Cupcake. I would say that the company's fruit flavors are better, and I know some people who swear by their chocolate frosting with chocolate cake. xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks everyone for the comments! Glad to know that I'm not the only one disappointed by the look of these.

    ReplyDelete