Wednesday, September 26, 2012

Shake Shack - Smoke Shack Burger + Olive Oil Cake Custard






Mmm... Shake Shack.  A few months ago I read about the new Smoke Shack burger on Serious Eats, and I knew I had to try it out as soon as it was available in DC.  This burger consists of "a classic Shack Burger, minus the lettuce and tomato, and with the addition of cherry pepper relish and Niman Ranch applewood-smoked bacon".  Much like the Serious Eats reviewer, the highlight for me was the cherry pepper relish.  It added a nice tangyness and cut through the meats and cheese very nicely.  I also thought it was sort of funny how they omitted the usual tomato and lettuce in this burger, as if there was no room for such nonsense like a sliver of a vegetable, haha.  

When I went to try the burger, there was also a new custard flavor for me to try out - Olive Oil Cake.  If you've never had a olive oil cake before, you might think this sounds completely insane, haha.  I personally think olive oil cakes can be really good, when it's done well and it's not overwhelmingly greasy.  Well, Shake Shack definitely got the olive oil flavor down pat in this custard.  Unfortunately, I was hoping for some sort of cake pieces or something to break up the olive oil flavor in the custard, and there were none to be found.  I wouldn't get this again, but of course I was happy to try out another new flavor!



No comments:

Post a Comment