Tuesday, September 1, 2009

Review: Starbucks Pumpkin Spice Frappuccino

As much as people might have personal vendettas against Starbucks for their evil corporate ways of taking over quaint neighborhoods and blah blah blah, I enjoy most of their seasonal/specialty drinks, and that's all that matters to me right now. I've had the Pumpkin Spice hot latte in the past, but never the Pumpkin Spice Frappuccino. It being September 1st, marking the start of the fall flavors at Starbucks, I figured I'd give it a try. With my selectively frugal tendencies as they are, I got it at Barnes and Noble so that I could use my 10% BN member discount on it.

The Frappuccino is more or less what I expected, based on my experiences with the latte version. The flavors are very strong and hit you right away. If you're like me and like pumpkin pie flavored ice cream, or cold slices of pumpkin pie straight from the fridge, then you will not be fazed by the pumpkin punch to the nostrils.

What did faze me, however, was the redic amounts of nutmeg (slash pumpkin pie spice?) that was flung onto the top of my no-whip version. It literally covered the entire top of my Frappuccino with a thick crust of powder. Not so fun to look at or try to drink around. I'd recommend getting it without that topping.

Whatever size you get, it will probably be too much after a while (unless you're the pumpkin pie version of the Hamburgler or something). It's pretty cloying and sweet, good for the first 10 or so sips but then might get a little excessive after that. I'm glad I tried the Frappuccino version though, it was a much better choice than getting the hot latte version, especially since it's in the 80's today. If you like pumpkin pie flavored cold things, give it a try!

2 comments:

  1. I will prob continue to stay away from fraps to avoid a relapse, but it was fun to read about one.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Haha - Ilana - I heard about that :). I'm a big fan of the Pumpkin Spice latte...mmmmm

    ReplyDelete