Thursday, February 25, 2010

Review: Ma Peche- Chambers Hotel, NYC

Midtown Lunch Menu

After reading about David Chang's latest Momofuku venture in the Chambers Hotel online, and then hearing that there was a special $10 Midtown Lunch menu, I knew I had to try it out ASAP.  Luckily, I had some time to head over for a quick weekday lunch on my last trip to NYC.  The mezzanine space is lofted above the lobby of the hotel, and it's pretty small and crowded.  As you can see the menu (above) it's a short but interesting selection.  Honestly- I would've tried to try them all at once.  Realistically, I knew I could order only one- so I went with the Bun du riz. 

 

Bun de Riz

As you can see on the menu, this dish consists of: rice noodles, pork ragout, and saw leaf herb.  I tried a few bites on its own, and then with a few squirts of Sriracha (I can't resist).  Wow.  Wowowowowowowowow.  The chewy, partly crispy noodles with the crunchy toppings, crisp-tender veggies, and the smattering of porky bits = OMGSOGOOD.  I literally was torn between shoving this in my mouth as quickly as possible vs. letting each bite linger for as long as I could stand it, haha.  It's not a novel combination of ingredients, but David Chang stuff rarely is- it's more like, he takes something good, and makes it his own, and it's usually AWESOME. 

  

Momofuku Milk Bar Peanut Butter Cookie 

Although I could only eat one dish there, you know I couldn't resist adding on a Momofuku cookie to my lunch.  Luckily it came wrapped up so I could save it for later.  I had this once I got back home from NYC, and it was buttery, smooth, and with a strong peanut butter flavor.  I'm actually glad I saved it, because if I tried to eat it immediately after lunch, I probably would've been too full to enjoy it as much as I did.   

I'm super happy with my first visit here (in case you couldn't tell) and I can't wait to go back and try it out again!   

5 comments:

  1. Oh my gosh...you always introduce new resto!!& everything's so interesting... now my list of to go places are overflowing...haha....

    ReplyDelete
  2. @adin_22: My list (on my profile page) is about a mile long also, haha! But I'd recommend any Momofuku spot, soooo good!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Bouchon AND Momofuku? *totally jealous* This is on my "to eat" list for NYC. You are one lucky lady!

    P.S I got your Twitter request but I'm such a newb I don't even know what I'm supposed to do. I did just follow you though so maybe that's the solution? xoxo...

    ReplyDelete
  4. @SNC: The funny thing is, I've yet to go to any of the "real" Momofuku places (Ko, Noodle Bar, Ssam Bar), haha. One day! But yeah it was a v. delicious weekend! Oh and I'll e-mail you about Twitter, it's so addicting!!

    ReplyDelete