Wednesday, January 19, 2011

Rooibos Dessert at Hakubai Restaurant, NYC



Over the holidays, my mom and I ventured out to NYC for the day, taking in a long lunch, shopping, the Rockefeller Center tree, and the Museum of Modern Art.  We decided to try somewhere new for lunch, and ate at the Hakubai restaurant in the Kitano Hotel.  It was a great lunch with lots of yummy Japanese dishes, but the highlight was definitely my dessert (above).  My set lunch menu came with dessert, so I decided to get the Rooibos tea jelly, since it sounded like the most interesting choice. 

What came out was a small tea cup with what appeared to be custard and some whipped cream on top.  I spooned through the custard and found a darker orange jelly underneath the yellow custard, so it was more like a layered mousse/jelly.  The tea flavor was pretty strong and had that distinct Rooibos tea taste.  I loved the presentation of this dessert and the idea of tea desserts in general.  I wish more restaurants would do dishes like this, and not just with green tea (although clearly I love green tea, haha).  What a great way to end a really refined and tasty Japanese lunch :o)   



Hakubai at the Kitano New York
66 Park Avenue at East 38th Street
New York, NY 10016
212.885.7111 // on OpenTable

No comments:

Post a Comment