Friday, September 18, 2009

Review: Founding Farmers

Cornbread to Start. ($5.00)

During B's excellent adventure slash weekend visit to DC, one of the places we went to was Founding Farmers for brunch. It was my first time going there, and based on what I had heard from S, it's great food in a cool setting, so I was excited to try it out. We sat upstairs in a nice booth, and I really liked the decor and overall feel of the place. It was light, open, and had little touches that made it interesting. I particularly liked the white bird-shaped lamps that were hung above a communal table, v. cute.

For drinks, we each got something different- Cocktail of the Day (sweet and fizzy), Cranberry Cucumber Cooler (heavy on the cucumber, refreshing), Mint Limeade (Mojito-esque), and the Blood Orange Soda (a little tart, delicious). We ordered the cornbread (above) to share, and it was v. tasty, with a sweet honey butter on the side. I'm a fan of the presentation, plus baking it in the cast-iron skillet ensures crispy buttery edges, which is a big plus.


Prime Rib Dip Sandwich ($15.00)

After hemming and hawwing over the breakfast and lunch menus, I finally went for the Prime Rib sandwich. Quite a rich choice, but so so so so worth it. The meat was tender, the ciabatta bread held up even after being dunked in the jus, and overall a fantastic sandwich. The only weird thing is the amount of fries- it almost seemed like someone threw some leftovers on the plate at the last minute. It was pretty unnecessary considering the size of the sandwich, but the amount of fries was sort of this weird "not enough to count as a side dish" ratio.


Crab & Lobster Hash, House-made English Muffin, Grits ($14.00)

B got the Crab & Lobster hash above, which looked like a stuffed breakfast pancake. I tried a bite of it and thought it was good, but I imagine eating an entire skillet's worth of this might get a little much after a while.


Shrimp Roll with Chips ($10.00)

D had the shrimp roll with chips, I am assuming he liked it since he ate it all. Considering he forgets on a daily basis that I'm even blogging about this to begin with, I don't think he'd have much more to say other than that he liked it enough to finish it, haha.


Crab & Lobster Hash (with Cheese), Fruit Salad, House-made English Muffin ($14)


S ordered the above Crab & Lobster Hash, and was kind enough to provide some feedback on her meal. Take it away, S!:

"I really love the atmosphere at FFs. It's comfortable and homey, yet very modern. I've been to FF many times, and have always found the food to be excellent! The cornbread was delicious - sweet and tasty, especially with the honey butter. My hash was good - but not great. The flavors were very nice, but I felt that it needed something extra. The english muffin was so delicious that I could have eaten more than just mine. It was warm, soft and had a perfect texture."

Overall we had a great meal and there were no noticable Whammys among our choices, aside from B and S's "good not great" notes about the hash. I can't wait to try this place again!


Founding Farmers
1924 Pennsylvania Avenue, NW

Washington, DC 20006
202.822.8783

Reservations available on Open Table



No comments:

Post a Comment