Tuesday, September 22, 2009

Review: Georgetown Cupcake Caramel Apple Cupcake

"Bag tunnel shot" of the cupcake.

Um, in case you have been living under a rock, let it be known that I loooooooooooooooooooove Georgetown Cupcake. I could eat it every day if it weren't for the horrific consequences that would result from doing that. For now, I'll live with going there anytime someone visits DC for the weekend :0)

We went on the Saturday afternoon of B's visit, and I got the Caramel Apple Cupcake. It's one of the specialty flavors for September, along with Cinnamon (these two are offered on different days). Normally I would just get my usual Red Velvet, but I figured I'd try this one since it was a limited offering. I got this once last year, pre-blog, so I figured it was a good chance to "officially" review it.

There's no specific description anywhere that I could find, but it seemed to be an apple spice cake base with a squirt of caramel in the middle, their signature cream cheese-based frosting, and more caramel squiggled on top.

The cupcake is v... well, in-your-face-FALL. I'm usually not a fan of spice-based cakes, but this was good (probably also due to its relatively small size). It was moist and didn't have a lot of "stuff" in it, which I liked. It's got a strong caramel flavor thanks to the top squiggle and the inner caramel. But, the overall flavor is toned down a little bit thanks to the somewhat neutral cream cheese frosting. It would go great with a skim latte or even a mug of warm milk, to balance out the sweetness of this cupcake.

Final verdict? I wouldn't get this cupcake all the time (I'll always be devoted to the Red Velvet as my #1) but it was a tasty September treat and I'm glad I got a chance to try it while it was available.

2 comments:

  1. I thought it was a nice balance of flavors, too, and I'm not a Georgetown Cupcake fan. Let me know when you post your Frosting DC review :). xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  2. @CityGirl: Thanks for commenting! I went to Baked & Wired the other day and thought of you :o)

    ReplyDelete