Tuesday, November 3, 2009

Review: YoCake, Montgomery Mall

I first heard about YoCake via a Delleicious post online, and was pretty excited about having another tart yogurt option close to me.  The cupcakes- I was a little iffy about, considering my til-death-do-us-part-allegiance to Georgetown Cupcake, and my previous disappointment with the Red Velvet/Tangysweet cupcakes.  But obviously I was still going to try the yogurt and the cupcakes, duh.     



Tart with Strawberries; Vanilla with Blackberries

Luckily I had a willing and enthusiastic visitor that weekend, B, to come along with me to try this place out.  We both liked our respective yogurts, although I think B liked his vanilla yogurt moreso than my tart yogurt.  That's pretty common- tart yogurt is a v. polarizing flavor in my opinion, especially since a lot of people think of frozen yogurt as being more like soft serve ice cream or custard, rather than something that isn't v. sweet at all.  I liked the tart yogurt, it was pretty much what I expected, and the strawberries were fresh and not mushy.  

 
Mall Lighting is not-so-flattering.

Onto the cupcakes.  We picked up 6 to go, to bring over to our friends' place/eat later.  I'm not 100% sure what all the flavors were, but I'm pretty sure it was (Top Row) Amaretto, Raspberry Lemonade?, Red Velvet; (Bottom Row) Chocolate, Strawberry, Coconut.

Overall I think everyone's opinion of the cupcakes was "Good, not great".  The frosting in general seemed to fare better than the cake portions- the cakes were dense and dry, and not v. pleasant to eat.  For being comparable price-wise to other cupcakeries in the DC area, pretty disappointing. 

Final Verdict?  I'd definitely come by here again for some frozen yogurt- it's conveniently located in a mall that I go to pretty often, and it's a welcome addition to the food court there.  I'm sure enough people will be intrigued by the cupcakes to keep them selling, especially since there are no other "bakery" options in the mall that I know of (besides the pastries in the coffee kiosks I guess).  I will probably plan on coming back and trying out a cupcake again in a few months, maybe to see if they've tweaked any of the issues out with the cake portion of the cupcakes.   

No comments:

Post a Comment