Monday, May 16, 2011

Georgetown Cupcake - Hummingbird Cupcake



One of Georgetown Cupcake's special April flavors was a brand new one, called the Hummingbird.  This cupcake is "Georgetown Cupcake's version of a Southern classic — fresh banana, pineapple, and pecan cupcake topped with a vanilla cream cheese frosting, chopped pecans, and a blue fondant hummingbird".

Since I've never tried a real Hummingbird cake before, I wasn't really sure what to expect with this cupcake.  However, my expectations were pretty low after reading the description, since I generally don't like much fruit in my cakes.  Especially something like pineapple.  So... I think you might know where this is going, haha.

The cake portion just tasted really sweet and mushy, most likely due to the fruit inside.  I did enjoy the pecan topping on the frosting because it added some texture.  Overall, I think it was great that they'd come up with a new flavor that is v. different from other flavors they currently offer, but I'm just not a fan of this one personally.  Have any of you ever had a real Hummingbird cake? 

3 comments:

  1. All the hummingbird cakes I've had have been good! Although I've never had chunks of fruit...its always been shredded? Kinda like carrot cake....

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah - I'm not sure if that would be my favorite either...but it's sure cute!

    ReplyDelete