Wednesday, December 8, 2010

Williams-Sonoma Pumpkin Pocket Pie Mold



Considering my love/obsession with pumpkins, it was pretty much a given that I would pick up this snazzy little piece at Williams-Sonoma.  I bought this last season but didn't really get a chance to use it (aka: I was lazy) until this past Thanksgiving. 

Basically the pocket pie mold works as a dough cutter and mold for the filling to go into.  Williams-Sonoma currently doesn't carry this pumpkin mold, but has lattice and apple versions, which will give you an idea of how they all work.  It's v. simple and comes together easily.

 


For these pocket pies above, I used pumpkin pie in one and chopped sauteed apples (with cinnamon and sugar) in the other.  I cut out the pumpkins from a defrosted puff pastry sheet, and then filled the pocket pies.  I used egg white to seal the pie together, and then brushed the tops with egg yolk + a little bit of water mixed together.  15 minutes later, these golden brown puffy blobs came out of the oven, haha.  So yeah, they don't do a great job of retaining the pumpkin shape, but next time I might try it with the "pumpkin crease/vents" cutter on one side.  Taste-wise, these are pretty much like puff pastries normally, just shaped differently.  But they were fun and easy to make, and I could see it being a fun project for kids as well.  These pocket pie molds would also make a cute addition to a wedding gift if the couple has registered for baking goods already!   

2 comments:

  1. @Shannon: I know, I wish I had time to use it more often (or some reason to make a bunch, haha).

    ReplyDelete