Wednesday, August 19, 2009

Recipe Review: Ina Garten's Cream of Fresh Tomato Soup

How very... Orange- but super delicious!


I loooooooove me some Ina Garten. Her shows are probably in my Top 3 Food Network programs, because who wouldn't want to hang out in the Hamptons, using only "good" ingredients, having parties all the time? I have her Barefoot Contessa and French cookbook, but recently I randomly found Ina's Back to Basics cookbook at TJ Maxx, score! It's not as "basic" as everyone might assume, but it's an "Ina-level basic", haha. I want to try to make as many of the recipes in here that I can- not trying to go all "Julie & Julia" on this, but at least to make use of the purchase.

I started out with the most logical choice, the Cream of Fresh Tomato Soup, mainly because I had pretty much all of the ingredients on hand already. I halved the recipe for the most part so I wouldn't end up with gallons and gallons of soup. Also, a few tweaks here and there, like using my handheld immersion blender at the end, instead of a food mill, cus, let's get real Ina.

This was a fantastic soup with great flavor and depth. I thought the carrots were random but it worked well without overpowering the tomato flavor. Anyone that's a fan of tomato basil soup or tomato bisque will LOVE this soup. It takes a little bit of time and effort, but most of it is simmering time so it's not like you're doing stuff nonstop. Highly recommended, especially for this time of year!

3 comments:

  1. We are making it right now. And we are now in the simmering phase. We do have a food mill and not an immersion blender (I wish we had one instead).

    Have you made the chive risotto cakes?

    ReplyDelete
  2. @Laima: Thanks for commenting! I hope you liked the soup. No, I haven't made those yet, sounds v. delicious though.

    ReplyDelete