Monday, July 30, 2012

Sakuramen DC - Spicy Miso Ramen


A few weeks ago, my friend P and I met up in Adams Morgan to check out Sakuramen, a new ramen joint in DC.  A hot summer day may not seem like the best time to be eating a huge bowl of hot noodles and broth, but I love ramen any time of the year, haha. 

Sakuramen is tucked in the lower level of a building along 18th, street, surrounded by bars, restaurants, etc. that is packed into that area.  Side note: It was pretty funny to be walking down 18th street a) on a weekday; and b) while it was still light out, haha.

I went with the Spicy Miso ramen, which I really got more for the spicy aspect of it rather than the miso.  I almost always get shoyu (soy sauce)- based ramens, but I figured I would give this one a try.  It consists of "A spicy miso broth with chashu, menma, scallions, corn, nori, and Sakuramen’s original fireball (ask for extra spicy). Broth: Chicken Stock with Miso / Noodles: Thick & Curly".

This bowl of ramen did not disappoint!  I loved the pork, chewy noodles, corn, and the broth was delicious as well.  The spice ball (in the center-ish of my photo) was spicy but less so after a few minutes, probably because it got dissolved in the broth and/or my heat tolerance is increasing, haha.

I don't normally find myself in Adams Morgan just for a meal, but I'd definitely recommend Sakuramen if you're a fan of ramen and/or in the area.  There aren't too many places that serve decent ramen in the DC area, so I'm glad this place is around.  I hope to be back again soon for another bowl of ramen, and also to try out their pork buns.  Hopefully by then, they may have a liquor license? A cold glass of beer would've been perfect with this meal!


Sakuramen
2441 18th Street NW
Washington, DC 
202.656.5285





2 comments: