Monday, February 8, 2010

Review: Shilla Bakery, Rockville

Picked up a few goodies.

I've always loved Asian bakeries, and I'm always happy to find a new one to try out.  One day after getting my car washed, I figured I'd take a quick detour (thank you BBerry Internet) to Shilla Bakery.  The place wasn't hard to find- in a somewhat shady-looking strip mall- but the inside was packed and lively.  Since it was my first trip there, I figured I'd pick up a few items to take home.  Lots of people were seated in the cafe section and eating some of the cafe offerings.  

I picked up 2 red bean buns (top), a steamed cake (bottom left), and a strawberry roll cake (bottom right).  The red bean buns reminded me of the ones from Japanese bakeries, and were even good frozen and re-heated later.  The steamed cake had a squishy texture and was really good with hot tea.  The strawberry roll cake was my least favorite of the bunch- pretty dry and had a really artificial strawberry syrup smell to it.  

While my heart will always belong to Japanese bakeries, I really like that there are places like Shilla nearby for a quick Asian-bakery fix.  I'd like to try out the cafe sometime, maybe to share one of the massive icy treats! 

4 comments:

  1. it's a date! sometime after work, lets go for a pat bing soo!

    i agree that some of the breads at shilla are a little too sweet. the ones filled with cream, i usually take out most of the creme and then eat it. BUT, it is the closest thing to those awesome Pan-ya in Japan, right?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love Shilla!

    I especially love their fairfax location..nice and cozy environment.

    their boba tea + bread are the best combo to have as dessert

    ReplyDelete
  3. YOU WANT FROZEN BIRTHDAY FRUIT CAKES, then go to Stilla Bakery. Do not bother ordering birthday fruit cakes from there unless you want a frozen cake. I pre-ordered a birthday strawberry fruit cake in April 2010 for my 4 year old niece. Even though we did not cut the cake until a couple of hours later, we all saw and tasted the ice particles surrounding the fruits inside the cake. Ok, thinking perhaps they forgot to put in the order that time and so, I was going to give this bakery a second chance. I called in again in June 2010 the day before to order a birthday chocolate fruit cake. The girl on the phone told me that I do not have to order cakes in advance because they have cakes there. I specifically told the girl that took the order that I do not want the fruits to be icy cold and wanted something FRESH. She assured me on the phone that it would be freshly made and talk to the chef about the cold fruit issue. I picked up the cake around 5pm and we did not cut the cake until 8:30pm. Guess what? The fruits inside the damn cake was still icy cold! This bakery has lost my business for good!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I, of course, a newcomer to this blog, but the author does not agree

    ReplyDelete