Thursday, March 31, 2011

Sprinkles Cupcakes - Free Cinnamon Sugar Cupcake

For two weeks before the Sprinkles in Georgetown opened, the Sprinklesmobile was roaming around the city each day, giving away a limited number of cupcakes.  I was expecting to not be able to get any given that the locations were on weekdays in DC, but as it turned out, one of their scheduled stops was in Friendship Heights on a Saturday, woo!

I spent some time shopping in the area, stopping for a drink at Tynan Coffee & Tea, and possibly checking the Twitter feed, oh, every, 4 minutes or so, haha. 

Finally, FINALLY, the Sprinklesmobile location was posted.  I ran out of Bloomingdale's (after I paid, thankyouverymuch) and hauled my butt down Wisconsin Avenue to the truck.  The poor girl hadn't even really set up anything yet and there I was, staring up at her like an overeager puppy.  To keep myself occupied while she set up, I started talking to some of the people that had started to gather around to check out the truck, inviting them to get in line (BEHIND me, ha) for a free cupcake.









As you can see, the truck display is laid out pretty nicely.  The only issue that I'm assuming the girl had was having to repeat the flavors to virtually every customer, since there was only the one open box in the front to show what cupcakes were available, and no signage about the flavors. 



After a little bit of internal debating on what flavor to get, I ordered a free Cinnamon Sugar cupcake (plus a fork and a cute mini button they were giving out as well) and headed home to try it out.




I picked the Cinnamon Sugar one mainly because I had seen it mentioned on "The Best Thing I Ever Ate" by Candace Nelson, the owner of Sprinkles.  She was talking about a doughnut muffin that she loved, saying it was the inspiration for her Cinnamon Sugar cupcake. Also, I have tried their Red Velvet cupcake in the past on a trip to LA a while back, so I wanted to try something different.  The cupcake is a "lightly spiced buttermilk cake dusted with cinnamon sugar", which is interesting because it's a frosting-less cupcake.  I really enjoyed this cupcake a lot- it's a bit messy due to the cinnamon sugar, but definitely worth the mess!  I didn't even miss the frosting because the cake was very moist and went well with the crunch of the cinnamon sugar topping.  I would definitely get this cupcake again!  Thank you Sprinkles for having a great giveaway promotion before your store opened! 

4 comments:

  1. Ahhh I want one!!! Omg and w cream cheese frosting it'd be even better I bet/ sinful ha

    ReplyDelete
  2. THAT LOOKS AMAZING!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yummers! The top reminds me of coffee cake.

    ReplyDelete
  4. @Ashley: OMG yes that'd be SO good!

    @Shannon: It was!!!!!!!!!!!!

    @SNC: Yes! It's a v. brunch-friendly cupcake, haha.

    ReplyDelete