Tuesday, July 21, 2009

Review: Charm City Cupcakes


No, not Charm City Cakes, the Food Network fondant-a-thon. Charm City Cupcakes is a cupcake store in Baltimore, MD. I've never tried their cupcakes before, but as luck would have it, a co-worker had a baby shower and brought me a leftover CCC Chocolate cupcake with Vanilla buttercream to try out.


Before I begin this brief review, I do have to say that this cupcake was baked at some point last week, served at the baby shower on Saturday, brought in to work on Monday, put into the fridge, driven to my apartment, put back into the fridge, and then tasted about 4 hours later... needless to say, it wasn't exactly in the IDEAL condition when I tried it. The only thing worse that I could've done to it probably would've been to run it over with my car.


However, taste is taste. And the chocolate cake tasted rich, but the cake itself had enormous air bubbles in it. If anyone's familiar with the UK's Aero bar, that's basically what the cake looked like. It made for an odd texture to chew, that's for sure. The buttercream frosting was what you'd expect- sugary and grainy in texture, not my favorite by a long shot. Of course, I'm more in the camp of the creamy plops of frosting (a la Georgetown Cupcake), so it wasn't really surprising to me that I didn't love this CCC version.


Final verdict? I'm glad I got to try out this somewhat famous (at least in the MD area) cupcake since chances are I wouldn't go to Baltimore just to try them. Not the best cupcake I've ever had, but then again the circumstances with timing and freshness weren't ideal either. I'd be interested to see if any of their specialty flavors are any better.


No comments:

Post a Comment