Friday, October 9, 2009

Martha Stewart's Allergen-free Chocolate Cupcakes



Mise en place.

This recipe is yet another in the Martha Stewart Cupcakes book, but to be honest it wasn't one that I thought I'd be making.  Fortunately neither myself or any of my friends have severe food allergies (that I know of, anyway), and I've also never had an issue bringing food into work either.  That being said, I'm glad that a recipe like this exists, if only for my "I want to bake something but I'm too lazy to go buy eggs" mentality.  I had literally every ingredient on hand, and I didn't have to wait to make it - like how I normally do when I realize that the butter has to be room temperature. 

So, allergen-free in Martha's book means no eggs, milk, dairy, or nuts.  I found a similar if not identical recipe online, except the one in the book did not include the frosting.  This recipe is very straight-forward and simple.  Like the recipe says, the batter will be a lot thinner than regular cupcake batter- but don't freak out, it will all work itself out in the oven, haha.   




It's Choco-tastic!

Final verdict?  These are delicious, light, and very chocolatey without being painfully sweet.  The ingredients might seem sort of strange (white vinegar?) but I can say that these were very delicious and you don't miss any of the usual ingredients at all.  They were a big hit in my office, and several people talked to me about having family members that are vegan or had food allergies.  It's nice to know that recipes like this exist, because it would def be sad times if I had to give up all baked goods because of a food allergy, that's for sure.  And, if you're like me and don't like eggs enough to always have them on hand, this is a great pantry-only recipe to keep on hand!

No comments:

Post a Comment