Thursday, September 16, 2010

Cooking Corn on the Cob for One

Although summer corn season is coming to a close, I thought this handy tip was really good and worth sharing with you all.  One of my main issues with eating corn on the cob at home was how long it took to boil them, especially if all I wanted was one corn on the cob for myself.  My mom told me about something she saw on a Japanese TV show recently, and said that it's worked really well for her, so I decided to give it a try.  I took photos of pretty much each of the simple steps below:


 

1) Obtain an ear of corn.




2) Shuck the ear of corn and get all the stringy parts off of it.



3) Cut the ear of corn into two pieces, and wrap each piece with parchment paper like they're giant pieces of candy.  Roll the parchment paper to cover the corn, and then twist the ends tightly. 





4) Put the wrapped corn on a plate and microwave for 2-4 minutes.  I did mine for 2 minutes and then added another minute after pushing the cob to check for doneness. 


Now, by no means am I saying that this "cooking" method is some sort of groundbreaking process; but if you're like me, and likely to only eat one ear of corn at a time, it's an easy, quick way of cooking the corn.  Also, since they're wrapped in parchment paper, it also keeps butter/cheese/whatever else you put on your corn inside the parchment paper packet and not all over the place, which is nice.  If anyone tries this out, let me know what you think!  

6 comments:

  1. Cute idea - and they do look like candy! haha

    ReplyDelete
  2. One of my friends nukes it with the husk on, saves on parchment paper :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh what a great idea! Even for cooking 2 ears of corn, boiling a gigantic pot of water seems silly. I'll def try this!

    ReplyDelete
  4. @Shannon: Yeah it reminded me of big taffy pieces haha.

    @SNC: Haha, I know!

    @KandS: Oh nice- do they clean off the corn then after nuking it, I'm assuming?

    @Christine: Hope you like how they turn out!

    ReplyDelete