Wednesday, March 24, 2010

Faux-Recipe: Sweet n' Salty Brownies

The finished brownie

As soon as I saw this Cakespy recipe for Sweet n' Salty brownies, I knew that I had to try out something similar to it.  Luckily, T was visiting for the weekend, so it was a great excuse to do so :o) 

I used a boxed dark chocolate brownie mix which had extra chocolate chips included, then added peanuts and pretzel Goldfish to the brownie batter.  These were a great balance of sweet chocolate and saltiness, plus lots of texture from the peanuts.  One thing I would change is replacing the pretzel Goldfish with pieces of real pretzels.  The Goldfish are softer than real pretzels, and got even softer after baking in with the batter.  Cute idea, but didn't work out in real life.  

I call this a faux recipe cus a) it's not homemade; and b) it's just one example of how you can doctor up something simple to make it more interesting.  Next time I'm thinking peanut butter, caramel, maybe even some white chocolate chips...?  Anyone else have fun mix-in ideas?

5 comments:

  1. Did you get this from Semi-Homemade with Sandra Lee??

    ReplyDelete
  2. I believe that K strongly dislikes Sandra Lee...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, this is soo cool! M&M's come to mind ;)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh Sandra Lee - now if K was making cocktails, I'd say she's been placed under the trance of Sandra Lee

    ReplyDelete
  5. @Ilana: Yup, haha

    @SNC: Yum that'd be good- maybe even Peanut M&Ms!

    @Shannon: Exactly, or a tablescape

    ReplyDelete